Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Losing an old friend

I met Josh at a project we were working on in 1998.  He was an Orthodox Jew, one of the ones they call "black hats" but he never wore the hat, only his yarmulke and a flat cap.  He had a doctorate in Mathematics and was working on system engineering for the project. (It eventually became Verizon Long Distance). 

As all projects do, this one came to an end in 2004.  Josh and I kept in touch, always meeting for coffee somewhere every couple of months and discussing current politics and advances in technology. He'd call occasionally and ask for technical advice on something he was having problems with.  I would always help, even when he called on Christmas morning that one time, he was my friend.

In March, the owner of the coffee shop he frequented contacted me and said that Josh didn't look too good.  His hygiene was slipping and he appeared to be somewhat forgetful. I checked Josh out but he didn't appear to be too bad, the guy was in his early 70s and lived alone so, being a guy who lives alone myself, it was somewhat understandable.

I last saw him for coffee in June.  We met and talked and said we'd get in contact after the 4th. I realized I hadn't heard from him for a while, he normally contacted me or I contacted him once a month or so.  I texted him but he didn't reply so I had my suspicions.

Today, I went looking for his name and found him. He had been shopping in a local store and collapsed. Attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful and he died on July 7, 2017. He never married and had no immediate family. He was my friend and I will miss him.

I asked my fiance, who is Jewish herself, what Jews say for "Rest in Peace".  She says it's "Baruch dayan emet".  So, I will close this with:

Baruch dayan emet, My friend.  I will miss you.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Andrew. There are so many people in our lives that we touch, remember and love for what they bring big or small. May he Rest In Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry for your loss, Andrew. It is rare and special to have a good friend who brightens your mind as well as your soul. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete